Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Marble Index is complete


Sometime in October of 2000 I finished writing a book called Illuminated Shadows, which was the first book of what was intended to be a six book fantasy series. I started work on a second book shortly afterwards, but ended up quitting it at around 15 pages. In the year 2005, I started from scratch again, with the intention of calling it The Marble Index and making it the central volume of a trilogy (as opposed to six books). From January of 2005 to late April of 2009 I wrote around 84 pages before quitting again.

On August 4th of 2010 I once again began work on The Marble Index, again starting from scratch. I highly doubted I'd finish this attempt either. But I guess that the third time's the charm, because this afternoon, at 12:41 pm on January 2nd, 2011, I wrote out the final page. The book ended up being 278 pages total, bringing the two books to slightly under the 600 page mark. This is the first book I've written out entirely by hand since Illuminated Shadows a decade ago. All in all, it took around 88 days of actual writing (as I barely wrote anything at all in September and the first half of January).

Even though I wrote this book mainly for my own personal satisfaction, to prove that I could still write out a whole book by hand if I wanted to, and have no intention of ever trying to get it published, it's still an accomplishment, in my eyes, to complete a book I thought would never exist anywhere but inside my own head.

I guess this means I'll be completing The Age of Nothing (the third and final book of the trilogy) in 2021!

2 comments: