Saturday, August 25, 2018

Ten Year Anniversary of the start of "Mauve Movies"

Today is something of an anniversary for me: specifically, the ten year anniversary of the day that I began writing, on August 25 2008, in a black Gallery leather journal, in the break room of a Barnes & Noble, the first draft of "Mauve Movies," which I consider my first canon horror/Weird Fiction story. Little did I know at that time that this story, begun on a whim, would lead to the creation of an entire collection (Grimoire, which was published by Rebel Satori Press in 2012)... or to two further story collections, plus a novel.

I re-read the story today, for the first time since its initial publication in 2012, and I was pleased to see that (in my humble opinion) it still holds up: while there were things in it I'd probably do differently if I were writing it now, for the most part I think it still works, and I even found reading it tremendously moving... as a first stab at the genre I don't think it's too shabby, and while I don't believe I'll ever see a "best of Champagne" collection in my lifetime, certainly "Mauve Movies" would deserve to be included in such a hypothetical volume, perhaps being honored with the first story slot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment