Wednesday, September 30, 2026

"From Kether to Malkuth": a Review of PERFECT TIDES: STATION TO STATION, or, Throwing Darts in Lovers' Eyes

(Note: the following review was originally posted on my now-deleted Substack profile on Feb. 3 of this year) 


Last month saw the release of PERFECT TIDES: STATION TO STATION, a sequel to 2022’s acclaimed PERFECT TIDES. The brainchild of cartoonist/animator Meredith Gran (of the webcomic OCTOPUS PIE fame), and developed by her Three Bees indie animation studio, this is a game I’ve long been looking forward to playing. I fell in love with the first PERFECT TIDES shortly after it was released in 2022 (a friend recommended it to me), and I was very happy when this new game was announced a few months later, to the extent that I not only became a backer on Kickstarter * (which I almost never do), but I even played the demo in early 2024 (which I also almost never do). So you could say that I’ve been eagerly awaiting this release for close to two and a half years now. And it didn’t disappoint!

For those who never had the pleasure of playing the first game, PERFECT TIDES was a point-and-click adventure game somewhat in the mold of the old Sierra Games-type titles of the 80s and 90s, and it put you into the shoes of Mara Whitefish, a socially awkward, insecure and unpopular 15-year-old Jewish girl. In that first game Mara was a high school sophomore and aspiring writer who lived on the East Coast island known as Perfect Tides (itself somewhat modeled after the real-life Fire Island). Set in the year 2000, the game chronicled a year in Mara’s life, and was divided into four acts, each based around one of the seasons, starting with spring and ending in winter.

Part of the difficulty inherent with sequels is that you want something that feels in continuity with what came before it, but also something that doesn’t slavishly just recycle the original, something which can also stand on its own two feet. STATION TO STATION achieves the former by bringing back many of the key staff from the first game: aside from Meredith Gran once again handling writing and directing duties, Soren Hughes has returned as the game’s environmental designer, and Daniel Kobylarz is back taking on the music, to cite just a few examples, though there are some new faces as well. So in terms of writing, game art and music, it certainly instantly brings to mind the first game of the series. Also, it once again adopts the same four act structure of the first game, with each act representing a season, starting with spring and ending in winter, so that once again you’re playing another year in the life of Mara Whitefish.


However, in other ways the new game has many different elements that set it apart from the first. For starters, the interface has been streamlined. In the first game, you would use the mouse wheel to change the on-screen cursor, which had four different settings: an eyeball if you wished to examine something, a mouth if you wanted Mara to talk to someone, a hand if you desired to interact with something, and a little icon of Mara if you wanted to move around the screen (I know this interface sounds horribly awkward and clunky, but you’d be amazed how quickly you adapt to it). With STATION TO STATION, the cursor has been greatly simplified. Now you simply left click to move Mara where you want her to go (and if there’s an object she can interact with or a NPC she can speak to, the cursor color goes from white to red), and right click to examine people, objects and environments. Although the cursor interface in the first game was not without its charm, the new cursor set-up in the sequel makes for a much smoother gaming experience, in my opinion.

The new stats screen


Another big difference between the two games is the gameplay. The first game was more of an inventory-based puzzle game, where you often had to find certain items and use them in specific ways (and sometimes combinations) to move the story along or solve puzzles (this could lead to some frustrations for the first playthrough at least, in that not doing things like “not giving a seemingly minor background NPC a bag of potato chips in Act I locks you out from completing a major story event in Act IV”). In STATION TO STATION, there is still an inventory system, but it’s far more scaled back and not used very often. Instead, the game has more of an RPG feel. Mara now has seven stats, represented in the form of topics that interest her (The City, Movies, Anarchism, Music, Sex, Drugs, and Death), that can be raised in various ways over the course of the game, thus opening up new dialogue options. How you raise these stats varies: sometimes it’s based on actions you undertake, or conversations you have with characters, or books you read, and so on. That’s another big difference between the two games, in that the dialogue system has been deepened. If you hover the cursor over an NPC and it changes to a dialogue bubble, that means you can hold deeper conversations with them, asking them to comment on other characters in the game or on the seven aforementioned topics (the way it works is you just select what you want to ask them about from lists off Mara’s cellphone: you can even do this to Mara herself to see how she currently feels about the people she knows and the topics that interest her). Another more fleshed-out system is the in-game use of computers. In the first game, Mara did have a computer she could use, but it wasn’t really super-interactive, and mainly just functioned for a way for her to converse with her friends online and/or to move the story forward. But in STATION TO STATION, now when you access a computer, you can work on writing various papers (be it for school or otherwise), chat with your friends, explore the web, and check your email (doing all these things can also increase your stats). Finally, the game also introduces a system where Mara can collect and read books, which also can increase your stats and open up new dialogue actions/events: Mara can hold up to five books at once, and can swap them with other characters she encounters.

The third big difference is the setting. In the first game, the action was mainly situated on the island of Perfect Tides itself, though you did get to see a bit of the Mainland. But STATION TO STATION greatly expands the size of Mara’s world. The date is now 2003 (three years after the first game), and Mara, now 18, is a Freshman at State University of Creative Studies, or SUCS for short. Thus, the main setting is now The City (also known as “The Big City”), a thinly-veiled version of New York City. However, the game also spends a fair amount of time on the Mainland as well (where Mara lives when not on campus), so as a result, we get to see and learn a lot more about the world Mara lives in (also, and keeping with the RPG theme, the game even has a world map). The island of Perfect Tides itself, on the other hand, while receding in the distance in physical terms, pretty much mentally attains a mythical, almost Avalon-like reputation, and it’s funny how Mara almost yearns at times to return there, in light of the how much time she spends in the first game wishing to escape from it.

The delightful world map; I love how the mainland is fish-shaped

Like some of the other modern point-and-click adventure games I’ve played over the last few years, such as PENTIMENT and DREAMS IN THE WITCH HOUSE (the latter even more appropriate to mention here, in that it also took place in a university setting), your chief enemy in STATION TO STATION is Time itself. Each act is divided into four days, and these days are (usually) further divided into morning and evening segments, and you need to be able to figure out how best to make use of your time, as Mara typically only has time to read one book and work on one paper a day, and other events (like spending time on the computer or taking part in various activities with your friends) can also use up your all-too precious time. This is something, I feel, that gives the game replayability: during my initial playthrough, I often found myself thinking things like, “What if I had read that other book instead of the one I actually chose to read? What if I had had Mara spend the day hanging out with her friends rather than study at the library?” And so on and so forth.

Over the last four years or so, Meredith Gran has become one of my favorite artists and fiction writers, so this game really is the best of both worlds for those like me who enjoy her art and writing: there’s a lot of text in this game (200k words according to her recent dev blog), and it really brings the game to life, with a lot of scenes achieving great degrees of humor, sadness, and emotionality (sometimes all in the same scene). Speaking as someone who was also a college student during the time depicted (though I was just wrapping up my college experience rather than beginning it), the writing really does a good job capturing the zeitgeist of the era. Meanwhile, on the art front, it’s great to see Gran’s creations come to life through animation. Mara Whitefish remains one of the more compelling computer game protagonists I’ve ever encountered, both flawed and loveable in equal measure; you’ll often find yourself wanting to give her a hug when she’s dealing with heartbreak over yet another breakup with a bad boyfriend, or dealing with the fallout with life’s numerous problems, even at those times when she’s her own worst enemy (I also like how, much as in the first game, she changes her look each season: in STATION TO STATION I think her best look is in the summer portion of the game, that outfit suits her nicely).

See what I mean about that summer look? I'd wear that shirt

I enjoyed how, as mentioned above, the game expands on Mara’s world, and as a voracious reader and book nerd I love how Mara now has the ability to read and assimilate books **. Some of the books she can read I’ve read myself over the years, but there were some I haven’t read that sounded pretty interesting the way they were described in-game, so I might have to check some of those out at some point. As mentioned before, Soren Hughes has returned to do the game’s backgrounds, and once again they’ve conjured a masterclass in pixel art, creating timeless environments that are both vividly colorful and bursting with life, the perfect backdrops for the characters to play out their scenes against.

And what scenes they are! There are so many great moments, which can range from the quiet (a character visiting a cemetery and having a contemplative moment) to the bombastic (a karaoke performance at a bar, one of the game’s highlights).

I take back any bad thing I've ever said about Queen

I also should bring up the music. The soundtrack to the first PERFECT TIDES I personally rank as one of my Top Ten favorite gaming soundtracks, and I’ve spent many an hour listening to it during my leisure hours at home or when driving back and forth from work, and what’s really incredible about it was that it was such a late addition: I’ve read that Daniel Kobylarz was brought onboard somewhat late in the game’s development, and thus didn’t have a lot of time to create music, hence why the game only had an abbreviated 22 tracks (some of which were quite short, and which were reused in the game often). But with STATION TO STATION he had much more time to work on the game’s music, and it really shows: a whopping 41 tracks (almost double the amount of songs from the first game), some of which are substantially longer and more developed. And while I’m not sure if any of them will grow to be as iconic in my mind as some of the songs I most love from the first game (“Downtown,” “Mara’s House,” “Mainland,” “New Reunion,” and “Island at Night” spring to mind), already many of these new songs are starting to grow on me, and I’ll need more time to absorb them all. However, I think I can at least name some initial faves: “The City” and “Work/Study” are really great (it probably helps that I heard them a lot when I played the demo and thus they’ve been with me for around two years now), “Academy Diner” (which to my ears sounds perhaps the most like it could have fit in very well in the first game’s soundtrack), “The King’s Men,” “Crashing at Mom’s,” "Morning Headline," “Towel Girl on the Hook” (I have no idea if it’s intentional, but this one gave me strong “Sound and Vision” vibes, which would be appropriate for a game that I’m presuming took its subtitle from the David Bowie album of the same name), “Morning Headline,” “Fried Grease and Sea Air,” “Mainland 2,” “Swimming,” “Lazy Days Gone By",” “Fry of the Atlantic, Take Heart!,” and “End Credits.” But almost all the songs have something memorable going on, and they stick in the mind afterwards.

The things I didn’t quite care for as much in the game were pretty minor, really. I found I struggled a bit with the "writing papers" aspect of the game, though that might be more of a mark against me: the way it works is that you choose a primary topic, then a secondary topic, and Mara automatically writes the paper. But it’s not always clear what topics will work best for whatever assignment you’re working on at the time, and other times where I did correctly figure out which ones were appropriate, sometimes they just so happened to be ones where my stat level in that topic weren’t particularly high (while on the subject, I think it would be nice if the game let you knew what the max was for each topic, so you have a better idea of where you stand: I think the highest I got for anything was a 5 in regards to “The City”). I also felt that the “book swapping with friends” mechanic was a bit underutilized: in theory I thought it sounded pretty cool, the idea of swapping books with friends, because I thought it would lead to events where you could later ask them what they thought about the book they gave you, and vice-versa, but in practice I can only recall four actual times where I could swap books with another NPC (not counting the girl at the library desk or the curbside book vendor in the City’s main hub), and I found I was never able to swap books back, so I would advise gamers to use caution here: if you swap a book with someone, you might never see it again. Although the game has its atmospheric moments, I found the first game had a bit more going for it in that department, and I think it might come down to familiarity: Perfect Tides struck me as a very unique and exotic location, one I hadn’t really encountered in my many years of gaming, while the City was perhaps a bit more familiar (though still interesting in its own right). I also felt that the transition of the seasons carried more weight in the first game, partly because the first game was a bit more exterior-focused while the new game is more interior-based, so that depending on what act you were in the island of Perfect Tides was either very populated or border-line deserted (one of my favorite memories of PERFECT TIDES was the evening scenes in winter, having Mara walk around the deserted city streets at night, the snow crunching under her boots and the warm glow issuing forth from the windows around her, while the song “Island at Night” played melancholically in the background). That reminds me, in the first game, whenever a new season began, you got a little whimsical animated title card appropriate to that season’s theme, while the new game just says the season’s name in white lettering on a stark black background . . . though I suppose, now that I think about it, in some way that’s maybe kind of appropriate, in that Mara was still very young and childish in the first game, whereas in this game she’s older and a bit more serious (emphasis being on the words “a bit”).

My first playthrough of the game came out to a little under 16 hours (partly because I’m anal about inspecting everything), so on the whole I would consider this game to be a bit longer than the first game (which typically takes me around ten hours to play through). The first game had three different endings depending on your cumulative score, but as far as I can tell this game only has one ending (I may be wrong on this count, but I’ve checked some of the playthroughs on YouTube and they all seem to end the same way my game did). I would also like to mention that while most of the occasional mini-games are pretty self-explanatory, I had a devil of a time (and at least I know I’m not alone on this) on a certain mini-game that requires you to play the piano; I suppose it might help more if you can play an instrument and know how to actually read sheet music, but I literally had to watch a video of someone doing it online and take careful notes so that I could then replicate it myself (and this all gave me flashbacks to the “developing photographs in the school dark room” mini-game of the first game).


I’ve seen it said that this new game can be played as a standalone title, and I suppose that’s true enough, though I would still advise playing the first game beforehand: I find it gives certain scenes more narrative and emotional depth and/or weight, and there’s something to be said for those moments when beloved (and not so beloved) characters from the first game return, and seeing how they’ve changed (both physically and mentally); it should also be noted that this new game does refer to the occasional scene or event that occurred in the first game, which some might see as being slightly spoiler-y. In any event, if you enjoyed the first game a lot, I’m sure the second game will also scratch that itch. Gran and her talented team of collaborators did a really great job of making a new game that evokes both the look
and the soul of the first game, while also expanding it into a number of intriguing new directions, and I do hope this isn’t the last we’ve seen of Mara Whitefish and her interesting world and social network.


* Because I was a backer of the highest level for the Kickstarter, I was one of the backers to get their likeness in the game as an NPC and also get a few lines of dialogue. For the curious, I’m the loner guy hanging outside of the arcade at the amusement park, who comments on the in-game arcade game ISLAND GIRL

Yes, that is exactly how my hair typically looks

* * As a big Bret Easton Ellis fan, I was happy to spot at least three references to his work (or works inspired by his works) in the game itself: not only does Mara namedrop him in the first act, but an AMERICAN PSYCHO movie poster can be briefly spotted in the game’s opening montage, and there’s also a scene where Mara is handed a business card and she mentally gushes over it in almost Patrick Bateman-like terms




No comments:

Post a Comment